Withdraw formally from membership of a federal union, an alliance, or a political or religious organization: the kingdom of Belgium seceded from the Netherlands in 1830
More example sentences
- What was Abraham Lincoln's answer to Southerners who voted democratically to secede?
- In 1991, Germany gave Croatia and Slovenia the green light to secede from the Yugoslav federation; civil war soon followed.
- The North might have chosen the path of virtuous isolationism, letting the South secede and becoming an egalitarian social democracy.
withdraw from, break away from, break with, separate (oneself) from, sever relations with, leave, quit, split with, split off from, disaffiliate from, defect from, resign from, pull out of, drop out of, have nothing more to do with, turn one's back on, repudiate, reject, renounce, desert;
form a splinter group
- Example sentences
- Thus the centrifugal tendency of seceders' nationalism was crucial.
- On its disruption in 1884 he became head of the seceders, who organized themselves as the Socialist League, and was to lecture and write for the cause with great energy.
- Over the centuries, schisms occurred in which the seceders switched allegiance to Rome, forming the Uniate churches.
Early 18th century: from Latin secedere, from se- 'apart' + cedere 'go'.
Words that rhyme with secedeaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: se¦cede
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.