- Next after the best: his second-best suitMore example sentences
- So as noted, being on call Thanksgiving is the second-best scenario.
- The second-best luck is to have bought a house in Vancouver or Toronto 40, 50, 60 years ago.
- Majority rule is a second-best solution: Less than half the voters are denied their preferences.
nounBack to top
- A less adequate or less desirable alternative: he would have to settle for second bestMore example sentences
- In routine ways, we are mostly happy to settle for the second best or intellectual handouts.
- Now, I favor second bests in many situations, but first you have to show that the best isn't feasible.
- If we can't find the exact time, then the time it was first reported is a good second best.
come off second best
- Be defeated in a competition: the team came off second best in a seven goal matchMore example sentences
- But gutsy Roscommon showed they had no intention of coming off second best to the side that lost last year's All Ireland final after a replay.
- In all the outfield exchanges, Mount Sion were coming off second best but the Waterford champions were thrown a lifeline in the ninth minute.
- Veteran Noade made the announcement after coming off second best in a warm-up bout in Barcelona last week.
More definitions of second bestDefinition of second best in:
- The US English dictionary