Definition of second-rate in English:
Of mediocre or inferior quality: a second-rate theatre
More example sentences
- Now I don't have to drag myself to the second-rate theater where this film is playing in Madison.
- That means challenging Scots to better themselves instead of meekly accepting shoddy and second-rate services.
- I don't want to write anything shoddy or second-rate just because it will get on.
substandard, below standard, below par, bad, deficient, defective, faulty, imperfect, inferior, mediocre;
abject, poor, appalling, abysmal, atrocious, awful, terrible, dismal, dreadful, unsatisfactory, low-grade, third-rate, jerry-built, shoddy, crude, tinny, trashy, rubbishy, miserable, wretched, lamentable, deplorable, pitiful, inadequate, insufficient, unacceptable, execrable, frightful
- Example sentences
- Wouldn't it be a lot more reassuring, for most of us, to believe that second-raters can make it, at least once in a while?
- Keating is a duplicitous second-rater who never has an original idea and consequently enjoys much success.
- So if we think we're running against a second-rater without gravitas, we're dead wrong.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan