- 1 (often in phrase a second string to one's bow) An alternative resource or course of action in case another one fails: he was principally a batsman and bowling was the second string to his bowMore example sentences
- Apparently he was particularly unhappy about the events of that night - of being second string in Kate's plans.
- Taking a probiotic supplement is like bringing in a second string to protect us from the next competitors.
- 2(In sport) the second-choice players: Mimms will play in goal for City 's second stringMore example sentences
- The coach was impressed, which I was happy about, and said I would be welcome on the second string for the next game.
- Coaches often insert their second string when the game is in hand.
- Do you know that in China they already have the second string players training for the 2008 Olympics?
More definitions of second stringDefinition of second string in:
- The US English dictionary