- A small writing desk; an escritoire.More example sentences
- One of the finest pieces of French royal furniture in the Wallace Collection is the secretaire made for Queen Marie-Antoinette in 1780.
- The secretaire was still in the cabinet interieur at the beginning of the French Revolution, in 1789.
- The initial dismantling of the secretaire was extremely difficult and revealed much about its technical construction and Riesener's workshop practices.
late 18th century: from French secrétaire, literally 'secretary'.
More definitions of secretaireDefinition of secretaire in:
- The US English dictionary