Definition of sectionalism in English:
Restriction of interest to a narrow sphere; undue concern with local interests or petty distinctions at the expense of general well-being: the rise of democracy, capitalism, and sectionalism [with modifier]: this line stressed a national interest rather than anti-gay sectionalism
More example sentences
- Only a prince could be captain and stand apart from the competing interests of sectionalism, race, caste, creed and customs.
- Concerning sectionalism and the Civil War, no attempt is made to show how the sharpening divide between North and South shaped theological ideas.
- The initial assumption of this relationship was one of sectionalism although the convenor noted that all of the shop stewards worked together,
sectionalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- A contrast is usually made with nationalist or sectionalist terrorist activity or insurgencies.
- That should be worthy of note without sectionalist carping.
- It brought together antislavery sectionalists and other northern dissenters from the old party system.
Definition of sectionalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.