Definition of sedan in English:
1 (also sedan chair) chiefly historical An enclosed chair for conveying one person, carried between horizontal poles by two porters.
- It's said that long ago an Immortal found out that a devil had followed the wedding parade of a bride who was being carried in a sedan chair.
- Then, clad richly in gold from head to toe, the leader appeared at the top of the wall escorted by several servants who were carrying him in a sedan chair.
- As the Viceroy was being carried in a sedan chair away from the viewing stand, a Chinese man jumped out of the crowd lining the street, lifted a pistol, fired a single shot into the Viceroy's head.
2chiefly North American A car for four or more people.
- Are you looking for a sports car, or do you have children and need a sedan, minivan or SUV?
- Many have drivetrains taken from sport sedans, with suspensions to match.
- Not quite a sedan or SUV, today's station wagons are stylish, functional and fast.
Definition of sedan in:
- US English dictionary