Definition of segue in English:
verb (segues, segueing, segued)[no object, with adverbial]
- Once the producers felt we had seen enough of that, the camera seemlessly segued into another grassy scene: one with prehistoric, upright, hairy Homo habilis digging holes and groping for food, circa two million years ago.
- He captivated the audience, artfully segueing from songs that made you laugh, to ones that stilled the crowd with their meaningfulness, their power.
- Quickly paced, with each song segueing seamlessly into the next, it's a homage to the golden age of crossover.
nounBack to top
- Riffs on Hoagy Carmichael's ‘Georgia on My Mind’ are obvious musical cues and are used as segues throughout the film.
- They serve not only as brilliant segues within the film's narrative but also contribute to a larger purpose of imbuing the viewer with an intense, discombobulated sensation that can only be described as ‘punch drunk’.
- The film's segues into the seedier side of Austria are always appropriately shocking, and Erika's steadfast resolve in these environments is an utterly jarring anachronism.
Italian, literally 'follows'.
sequel from Late Middle English:
The earliest use of sequel was ‘a band of followers’. Latin sequi ‘to follow’ is the source, seen also in consequence (Late Middle English) and sequence (Late Middle English), and perhaps in the root of see. Sequel developed the senses ‘what happens afterwards’ and ‘the remaining part of a story’ in the early 16th century. In the 1970s it inspired the prequel, which portrays events that precede those of an existing completed work. From music comes segue [M18] from Italian seguire from sequi. It was originally an instruction in classical music to continue to the next movement without a break, but is now more often found used of moving from one recorded song to another without a break.
Words that rhyme with segueheadway • expressway
Definition of segue in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.