- A temporary disturbance or oscillation in the water level of a lake or partially enclosed body of water, especially one caused by changes in atmospheric pressure.More example sentences
- A seiche occurs in bodies of water that are partially or completely enclosed, such as Hilo Bay, creating a standing wave that continually sloshes back and forth.
- The second uncommon event produced by the earthquake was the giant wave, known to geologists as a seiche, that formed when Hebgen Lake tipped and water began to slosh from one lake shore to the other and back again.
- Another type of water wave, a seiche, is generated in an enclosed body of water such as a lake.
mid 19th century: from Swiss French, perhaps from German Seiche 'sinking (of water)'.
More definitions of seicheDefinition of seiche in:
- The US English dictionary