(also seine net) A fishing net which hangs vertically in the water with floats at the top and weights at the bottom edge, the ends being drawn together to encircle the fish: [as modifier]: a seine boat
More example sentences
- The fishermen use a seine net in this fishery to encircle the tuna like a fence.
- All the instructions were given in Irish in those days and when the spyer saw the fish he'd tell the captain and the seine net would be paid out.
- The WDCS reports that Atlantic bottlenose dolphins are usually captured using speedboats and a seine net.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1seiner noun
- Example sentences
- Today, the salmon fleet totals 3,381 vessels: 491 seiners, 864 trollers and 2,026 gillnetters.
- We're having a problem with large herring seiners.
- Cleaning the fish, and the mud-encrusted seiners, required more laughter and beer than skill and water.
Words that rhyme with Seineabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.