- 1Relating to earthquakes or other vibrations of the earth and its crust: after a few days of seismic activity the volcanic eruption startedMore example sentences
- Area vulcanologists said seismic activity remained at stable, non-threatening levels.
- There were also seismic activity earthquakes in central California.
- The Government has already identified areas that are vulnerable to earthquake based on seismic activity.
- 1.1Relating to or denoting geological surveying methods involving vibrations produced artificially by explosions: seismic data show the deep structure of rift systemsMore example sentences
- Someone had to man the rigs and further seismic surveying would be based at a nearby port.
- Problems often occur with seismic surveying at sea, such as battery power that is sapped after a few months and release mechanisms that do not perform correctly.
- Before the wells were dug, surveys and seismic testing had to be undertaken using sonar equipment, to find the best site for digging.
- 1.2Of enormous proportions or effect: there are seismic pressures threatening American societyMore example sentences
- Barring an event of seismic proportions, the ruling party's candidate will be Namibia's President-elect.
- It is a reminder that travel can have a seismic effect, either on the travellers and their homeland or the places visited.
- For this to happen it will take a cultural change of seismic proportions.
- [as submodifier]: this region is the most seismically active in North AmericaMore example sentences
- ‘Nevada is the second most seismically active state in the US after California,’ said Voegele.
- Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Northern India are seismically active because of this major set of faults.
- Greece is one of the most seismically active countries in Europe.
mid 19th century: from Greek seismos 'earthquake' (from seien 'to shake') + -ic.
More definitions of seismicDefinition of seismic in:
- The US English dictionary