noun[mass noun] Geology
- The reflection of elastic waves at boundaries between different rock formations, especially as a technique for prospecting or research.More example sentences
- The upcoming experiment will be conducted using both seismic reflection and refraction techniques to probe deep within the subduction zone.
- The geometrical relationships within and between depositional sequences are observable from geophysical data, particularly seismic reflection profiles, which represent an acoustic image through a rock sequence.
- In contrast, the overwhelmingly clastic Palaeozoic section is largely unreflective and seismic reflection interpretation of Palaeozoic horizons is highly speculative in many areas.
More definitions of seismic reflectionDefinition of seismic reflection in:
- The US English dictionary