noun (plural selectmen)
- A member of the local government board of a New England town: [as title]: Selectman Gordon’s supportersMore example sentences
- In 1843 Levi Suydam, a 23-year-old resident of Salisbury, Connecticut, asked the town's board of selectmen to allow him to vote as a Whig in a hotly contested local election.
- Thomas Wilmore, too, was boarded out by the selectmen of the town.
- I was elected by my town to the board of selectmen.
More definitions of selectmanDefinition of selectman in:
- The US English dictionary