Definition of selector in English:
1A person or thing that selects something, in particular:
- Tesl classroom instructional materials are the responsibility of the curriculum materials selector.
- We are comparing permanent allocations against recurring costs, including base monograph allocations for each selector.
- With most of the panel available, the selectors have several options.
1.1British A person appointed to select a representative team in a sport.
- If I were one of the selectors of the team, I'd play a good mix of players with the under-20s taking most of the positions.
- He found himself with no club and being clubless, national team selectors could not select him for the national squad.
- What is the criteria drawn up by the selector to select the team?
1.2 (also selecta) British informal A disc jockey (especially in the context of reggae and UK garage music): hot new selector Billy Slaughter is taking the sound of dancehall from strength to strength
More example sentences
- Opening for them will be none other then the diva of trip hop, Magpie, and the essential selecta, taro.
1.3A device for selecting a particular gear or other setting of a machine or device.
- The instruments have been redesigned to make them easier to see in twilight and dusk and the power window switches are relocated just behind the gear selector for ease of use.
- As well as the gear selector, there are three other stalks behind the steering wheel, for indicators, dipping the lights, operating the wipers/washers and the pre-selector cruise control.
- With the automatic transmission the brake is applied automatically whenever the ignition key is removed, and released whenever the gear selector is moved from the ‘park’ position.