The chemical element of atomic number 34, a grey crystalline non-metal with semiconducting properties. (Symbol: Se)
More example sentences
- The Pasminco operation produces lead, zinc, cadmium, selenium, copper sulphate and sulphuric acid.
- Many studies have shown that supplemental selenium has cancer-preventive properties.
- Lead, selenium, tellurium and sulfur are added to copper alloys to improve machinability.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek selēnē 'moon'.
- More example sentences
- They are made from materials such as calcium fluoride, sapphire, AMTIR, silicon, zinc selenide, and germanium.
- They separately synthesized rod-shaped nanometre scale crystal of two semi-conductors: cadmium selenide and cadmium telluride.
- It also combines with a number of metals to form compounds known as selenides as, for example, magnesium selenide (MgSe).
Definition of selenium in:
- The US English dictionary