- 1(Of molar teeth) having crescent-shaped ridges on the grinding surfaces, characteristic of ruminant mammals.More example sentences
- Correlated with this diet is the evolution of selenodont molar teeth - teeth with crescent-shaped ridges - for more efficient grinding of plants, as seen in this picture of Eocene artiodactyl teeth.
- In selenodont molars, the enamel ridges form characteristic crescent shapes.
- The molars of macropodids are hypsodont, quadritubercular, and either selenodont or lophodont or a combination of the two forms.
late 19th century: from seleno- 'moon-shaped' + Greek odous, odont- 'tooth'.
More definitions of selenodontDefinition of selenodont in:
- The US English dictionary