Definition of self-assembly in English:
1The construction of an object, especially a piece of furniture, from materials sold in kit form: you can buy it as a flat-pack for self-assembly
More example sentences
- With portable flat-pack, self-assembly furniture and increase in built-in storage space, the wheel has almost turned full circle.
- The main advantage of Microsoft products is that, like IKEA self-assembly furniture, they are character-building.
- When it comes to piecing together a performance, they can, at their worst, resemble a befuddled man confronted by self-assembly furniture.
1.1 Biology The spontaneous formation of a ribosome, virus, or other body in a medium containing the appropriate components.
- Its eight cysteine residues form four disulfide bridges that prevent spontaneous self-assembly in solution and thus account for the controlled assembly at hydrophilic-hydrophobic interfaces.
- We have also demonstrated a new application of these tethered membrane nanotubules, namely as biosensors to probe the real time dynamics of DNA self-assembly.
- As has been commented on earlier, self-assembly of the cyclic peptides into a synthetic channel proceeds through the formation of eight intersubunit backbone-backbone hydrogen bonds.
- Example sentences
- In contrast to the SMBVs, however, the membrane of Lipobead self-assembles without any homogenization, probably by using the anchors as pinning centers.
- In vitro, fibrinogen self-assembles into a cross-linked and branched semiflexible fibrin network upon activation by thrombin.
- The new ink Xerox has developed is based on a polythiophene semi-conductor, which self-assembles into ordered nano-particles that are stable even when dispersed in liquid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan