- 1Having elements which contradict or negate one another: some of the speculation had been self-cancelling, with newspapers predicting that the government would take quite opposite coursesMore example sentences
- You might say that, as with the declaration about marriage quoted earlier, Powell's way of declaring is so circumspect or humorously self-cancelling that something original results.
- Entertaining stuff, but I had the uncomfortable feeling that the stunts were not so much self-defeating as self-cancelling, leaving the corporate structure undamaged in each case.
- This extraordinary general election has resulted in the extraordinary self-cancelling outcome of not one lame duck leader but two.
More definitions of self-cancellingDefinition of self-cancelling in:
- The US English dictionary