- The exercising of control over what one says and does, especially to avoid criticism: a climate of self-censorship, fear, and hypocrisyMore example sentences
- In general, European countries have strict laws against such abuse and Europe's mainstream media are in any case usually good at exercising self-censorship.
- One of the most principled aspects of their decision was that political pressure on publishers to exercise a form of self-censorship should be resisted.
- The administration is counting on the media to exercise self-censorship and curtail reports of US atrocities that are seen as inevitable.
More definitions of self-censorshipDefinition of self-censorship in:
- The US English dictionary