noun[mass noun, usually as modifier]
- A system whereby customers can scan goods themselves and pay without a cashier in a supermarket or other shop: self-checkout machines self-checkout requires each item to be individually scannedMore example sentences
- Self checkout was the norm for Joan.
- The Library continues to promote self-help services, such as self checkout and online responses to frequently asked questions.
- I suggested a boycott of self-checkout lanes.
More definitions of self-checkoutDefinition of self-checkout in:
- The US English dictionary