- (Of a plant or species) able to be fertilized by its own pollen.More example sentences
- However, there are a significant number of exceptions to the UI ‘rule’ that pistils of self-incompatible taxa inhibit pollen from self-compatible taxa.
- Furthermore, seeds produced by female plants are the result of outcrossing with males, but seeds produced on hermaphrodite plants may be the result of selfing, if this species is self-compatible.
- Despite being a self-compatible species, self-pollination is rare.
More definitions of self-compatibleDefinition of self-compatible in:
- The US English dictionary