Definition of self-congratulation in English:
Undue complacency or pride regarding one’s personal achievements or qualities; self-satisfaction: a hefty dose of self-congratulation about how noble we are
More example sentences
- Richard says that to be consistent I should regard Australia in its entirety as a backwater of self-congratulation.
- Part of any negative reaction will be a response to the rhetorical tone of several chapters, which have an air of self-congratulation bordering on triumphalism.
- No satisfied self-congratulation here: just the realistic appreciation of a job well done, and of a tough fight to come.
- Example sentences
- It is a glib, smug and self-congratulatory way of saying: ‘I beat the disease.’
- Both also feel self-congratulatory and smug to me.
- We stand accused of being narcissistic and self-congratulatory.
Definition of self-congratulation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan