The denial of one’s own interests and needs; self-sacrifice: the farm has been built up over the years by hard work and self-denial
More example sentences
- Our vows are not of celibacy or self-denial, but of temperance and self-moderation.
- No one denies self-denial and noble altruism are generative of a host of spiritual benefits.
- A real person has to go through so much self-denial to fulfil this idealised image.
- Example sentences
- The two figures, one highly individualised, dedicated to self-assertion and pleasure-seeking, the other ascetic and self-denying, are sharply contrasted.
- The doctrine would only be followed by the prudent and self-denying.
- Can a profit-driven, self-denying lawyer be a good lawyer?
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: self-denial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.