Definition of self-drive in English:
1(Of a hired vehicle) driven by the person who hires the vehicle, rather than a professional driver: a self-drive removal van
More example sentences
- Paying double for two men and a large van, rather than hiring a small self-drive van, meant the difference between three hours of efficiency and a whole day of agony.
- This means that, despite a huge tourist industry, India has almost no facilities for self-drive car hire.
- Packages include return flights, self-drive car hire, and accommodation on a B & B basis but the company can also help you create your own itinerary.
2(Of a holiday) involving use of one’s own car rather than transport arranged by the operator.
- Specialist company Steppes Latin America has a range of self-drive holidays that allow you to custom-build your itinerary.
- If you prefer to go by car, self-drive holidays are available on Fjord line from Newcastle to Bergen, at an extra £142.
- Of course, none of them can compare with the rock-bottom price of the cheapest self-drive, self-catering Alpine holidays, but that's not really the point.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.