Definition of self-fertile in English:
(Of a plant) capable of self-fertilization.
- For example, it has a small diploid genome, self-fertile flowers, and a short generation time.
- Despite the fact that only a small number of selfed fruits were produced on self-fertile plants in our study, variation in self-fertility was evident.
- There was variability among self-fertile plants in their propensity to mature selfed fruits, but, on the whole, selfed fruit-set was very low compared to outcrossed fruit-set.
- Example sentences
- Despite the costs of inbreeding depression, self-fertility has evolved repeatedly in diverse taxa of flowering plants.
- Plants also show great ranges in self-fertility from obligate outcrossing to complete selfing to apomixis (uniparental).
- Perhaps the mutation that results in self-fertility arrived as a seed dispersed into the eastern half of the population, and not enough time has passed for it to spread or be lost.
Definition of self-fertile in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.