The holding of an unjustifiably high opinion of oneself or one’s actions.
More example sentences
- Still, some basic reporting can be done (and I think I can say without self-flattery or self-abnegation that I am not a conduit of choice for national-security leaking).
- Through a combination of cynicism and self-flattery, we put their accomplishments on a par with the banalities of contemporary celebrity culture.
- I am tempted sometimes to say that the only point of conspicuous compassion is action, the rest is self-flattery.
- More example sentences
- One of the worst qualities of left-wingers I have known is their self-flattering belief that they are the good people and that those who don't agree must be bad people.
- He's phrasing it in the most self-flattering way possible, of course, but that's what politicians do.
More definitions of self-flatteryDefinition of self-flattery in:
- The US English dictionary