Definition of self-flattery in English:
The holding of an unjustifiably high opinion of oneself or one’s actions.
- Still, some basic reporting can be done (and I think I can say without self-flattery or self-abnegation that I am not a conduit of choice for national-security leaking).
- Through a combination of cynicism and self-flattery, we put their accomplishments on a par with the banalities of contemporary celebrity culture.
- I am tempted sometimes to say that the only point of conspicuous compassion is action, the rest is self-flattery.
- Example sentences
- One of the worst qualities of left-wingers I have known is their self-flattering belief that they are the good people and that those who don't agree must be bad people.
- He's phrasing it in the most self-flattering way possible, of course, but that's what politicians do.
Definition of self-flattery in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan