Definition of self-governing in English:
1Exercising control over one’s own affairs, in particular:
- The AAUP has consistently held that academic freedom can be maintained only so long as faculty remain autonomous and self-governing.
- The Athenians were free men because they were collectively self-governing, although they lacked personal independence and civil liberties, and were expected to sacrifice their pleasures for the sake of the polis.
- Political thinkers imagined the American family as a factory specifically designed to turn out self-governing citizens - something quite different from what other kinds of families did.
1.1(Of a British hospital or school) having opted out of local authority control.
- Direct-grant schools were entirely self-governing and independent, but took pupils funded by the state.
- Schools are now self-governing and what little is left to strategic planning is being hived off to Education Action Zones.
- Staff at Princess Margaret Hospital have been rehearsing and refining their major incident plan since 1993, when the hospital became a self-governing trust.
1.2(Of a former colony or dependency) administering its own affairs.
- Rapid economic development followed, the country becoming the crown colony of Southern Rhodesia in 1911 and a self-governing colony in 1923.
- Greenland is classified as a self-governing dependency and has been ruled by Denmark since 1721.
- How could a colony be self-governing and still part of the empire?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia