Definition of self-governing in English:
1Exercising control over one’s own affairs, in particular:
- The AAUP has consistently held that academic freedom can be maintained only so long as faculty remain autonomous and self-governing.
- The Athenians were free men because they were collectively self-governing, although they lacked personal independence and civil liberties, and were expected to sacrifice their pleasures for the sake of the polis.
- Political thinkers imagined the American family as a factory specifically designed to turn out self-governing citizens - something quite different from what other kinds of families did.
1.1(Of a British hospital or school) having opted out of local authority control.
- Direct-grant schools were entirely self-governing and independent, but took pupils funded by the state.
- Schools are now self-governing and what little is left to strategic planning is being hived off to Education Action Zones.
- Staff at Princess Margaret Hospital have been rehearsing and refining their major incident plan since 1993, when the hospital became a self-governing trust.
1.2(Of a former colony or dependency) administering its own affairs.
- Rapid economic development followed, the country becoming the crown colony of Southern Rhodesia in 1911 and a self-governing colony in 1923.
- Greenland is classified as a self-governing dependency and has been ruled by Denmark since 1721.
- How could a colony be self-governing and still part of the empire?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.