Definition of self-government in English:
1Government of a country by its own people, especially after having been a colony.
- It consisted of the landed gentlemen of NSW who assumed they would constitute the government when the colony acquired self-government.
- By disempowerment, the tribunal referred to the denigration and destruction of Maori autonomy, or self-government.
- A former province of a state is being prepared for substantial autonomy and self-government.
- Example sentences
- His conscious decision to leave behind his family ties, which also implies a deliberate distancing from his Southern heritage, makes him apt to develop a self-governed identity and to acquire legacies which are chosen, not given.
- Mount Athos is a self-governed part of the Greek state subject to that country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs politically, and to the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople in regards to religion.
- The Irish industry is entirely self-governed but there are government proposals to introduce legislation for the industry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.