Having an exaggerated sense of one’s own value or importance: a self-important bureaucrat
More example sentences
- The sobriety of the streets is relieved by bridges with self-important towers or slightly pompous lions and griffins with gilded wings.
- As if concerned that his rants may appear too smug or self-important, he tempers them with spoonfuls of self-loathing.
- It was funny that two former fashion victims now find their former world overbearing and self-important.
conceited, arrogant, bumptious, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, (self-)opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotistical;
- More example sentences
- I think that he is a conventionally PC - and self-importantly ascetic - clergyman.
- Young peacocks, whose train is only half grown, strut self-importantly around a bevy of shawl-clad females, who ignore them totally.
- On practically every flight these days you'll encounter cell-phone maniacs, barking self-importantly into their little chunks of plastic.