Definition of self-important in English:
Having an exaggerated sense of one’s own value or importance: a self-important bureaucrat
More example sentences
- The sobriety of the streets is relieved by bridges with self-important towers or slightly pompous lions and griffins with gilded wings.
- As if concerned that his rants may appear too smug or self-important, he tempers them with spoonfuls of self-loathing.
- It was funny that two former fashion victims now find their former world overbearing and self-important.
conceited, arrogant, bumptious, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, (self-)opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, magisterial, pontifical, sententious, grandiose, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotistical;
- Example sentences
- I think that he is a conventionally PC - and self-importantly ascetic - clergyman.
- Young peacocks, whose train is only half grown, strut self-importantly around a bevy of shawl-clad females, who ignore them totally.
- On practically every flight these days you'll encounter cell-phone maniacs, barking self-importantly into their little chunks of plastic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan