(Of a plant or species) unable to be fertilized by its own pollen.
- However, there are a significant number of exceptions to the UI ‘rule’ that pistils of self-incompatible taxa inhibit pollen from self-compatible taxa.
- Clusters of genetically identical plants, for example, limit the number of mates available to self-incompatible species with limited pollen dispersal.
- Ideally seed orchards should contain only self-incompatible trees to eliminate production of selfed seed.
- Example sentences
- They may also have roles in pollen tube self-incompatibility and in plant defence responses.
- Gametophytic self-incompatibility is a widespread mechanism in flowering plants that prevents self-fertilization and promotes out-crossing.
- This cryptic self-incompatibility may effectively reduce geitonogamous self-fertilization, because stigmas probably receive outcross and geitonogamous pollen simultaneously.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: self-incompat¦ible
Definition of self-incompatible in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.