Definition of self-justification in English:
The justification or excusing of oneself or one’s actions.
- Do you mean that some coaches indulge in self-justification?
- The text is at once self-justification and foamy-mouthed invective against the world.
- This approach to self-justification is the practical equivalent of psychosis insofar as it is a refutation of empirical reality, a refutation of human reason and a denial of human history.
- Example sentences
- Their ill-tempered personalisation of the controversy through sourly self-justificatory sound-bites merely brought broadcasting disputation to an unseemly new low.
- What confidence can we have that those whose advice was ignored last time will be listened to now, and that those whose advice was taken will not proceed from an unhelpfully self-justificatory position?
- However, I would argue that those with responsibility for the direct application of this kind of community regeneration have an ideological and self-justificatory interest in including the community.
- Example sentences
- There is a way for you to wash off this terrible stain from your church and lives, but it doesn't lie through self-justifying behaviour, or by following the instructions of the lawyers who, unfortunately, run your church.
- Such is the peculiarity of America, to have liberalism as its orthodoxy and not radicalism, as in Europe, while retaining the self-justifying fervour of a dissenting religious Utopia.
- This is a warning for Australia, where half of the electorate cannot see the incompatibility of fostering a self-justifying individualism and populist fraternity at the same time.
Definition of self-justification in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan