Definition of self-medicate in English:
1Administer medication to oneself without medical supervision.
- His condition remains stable and his symptoms are well controlled by anti-psychotic medication with which he self-medicates as prescribed.
- Older and responsible students should be allowed to self-medicate at school with OTC products and certain prescription medications.
- Only 6 subjects sought professional help for their perceived sleep disorder and only 4 subjects elected to self-medicate.
1.1Drink or take drugs to relieve stress or other conditions.
- As a result, adolescence has became a painful experience and teenagers are self-medicating with drugs and drink to cope with the stress.
- How many of them self-medicate with alcohol or drugs?
- This feature alone will be helpful to the many individuals with social phobia who use alcohol or drugs to self-medicate or who experience the paralysis of depression.
- Example sentences
- Perioperative nurses must be knowledgeable about the risk associated with self-medication with herbal remedies.
- These findings suggested that substance misuse probably played a significant role in the aetiology and self-medication of anxiety disorders and some cases of depression or psychosis.
- In conclusion, the hypothesized use of substances of abuse for self-medication of schizophrenic symptoms and medication side effects is not supported by our data.
Definition of self-medicate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan