- The subjugation of appetites or desires by self-denial or self-discipline as an aspect of religious devotion: voluntary self-mortification such as fastingMore example sentences
- Another discipline, however, might lead to its achievement, and there was such a discipline at hand: the method of self-mortification and extreme asceticism which we know best through Jainism.
- A popular misconception about it was that its real purpose was to annihilate the desires of the flesh altogether and provide an opportunity for self-mortification in the last degree.
- In India, the recollection of previous lives is a common feature in the histories of the saints and heroes of a sacred tradition, and it is considered a result of a pious life of self-mortification.
More definitions of self-mortificationDefinition of self-mortification in:
- The US English dictionary