Definition of self-portrait in English:
A portrait that an artist produces of themselves: a self-portrait of Rembrandt dating back to 1635
More example sentences
- So notable was this presentation of self that a number of artists painted self-portraits in which they attempted to make themselves look like Rubens.
- It is a self-portrait, with the artist depicted with closed eyes, and he initially appears asleep.
- Kim's oil paintings are detailed self-portraits, which, she said, tend to show a lot of skin.
- self-portraiture noun
- Example sentences
- They construct poetics that ‘dissolve’ the authorial self, deliberately subverting the conventional genres of autobiography, self-portraiture and lyric confession.
- They also show her affinity to artists like Beckmann and Rembrandt, for whom self-portraiture (in prints as well as other mediums) provided a rich vein of material and a vehicle for formal invention.
- One of the most interesting examples occurs in her chapter on Andrea Mantegna, an artist much given to self-portraiture and with a reputation for irony and wit.
Definition of self-portrait in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.