Definition of self-propagating in English:
(Especially of a plant) able to propagate itself.
- They chose ornamental plants that were self-propagating, along with annuals that were generally self-seeding.
- In more specific terms, a meme is a self-propagating unit of cultural evolution, analogous to the gene (the unit of genetics).
- There, the molecules began the complex series of reactions that eventually lead to self-propagating chemical sequences that eventually became replicating life forms.
- Example sentences
- No present form of maize is capable of self-propagation, and wherever it grows it is grown by man.
- At the time, of course, it was not known that the gene's apparent self-propagation requires the participation of numerous extragenic elements such as enzymes and other proteins.
- Selfish genes of no function other than self-propagation are susceptible to degeneration if they become fixed in a population, and regular transfer to new species may be the only means for their long-term persistence.
Definition of self-propagating in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.