Definition of self-regard in English:
1Regard or consideration for oneself; self-respect.
- For some, he is a hero, all the more admirable in his magisterial self-regard.
- A self-confessed hero-worshipper, he adroitly patched into a network of national self-regard and milked it for all it was worth.
- Keeping foreigners in cultural ghettos is thus a necessity for him, if he is to preserve his self-regard.
- The greatest obstacle to our progress in love is our own self-love, our own ego and our self-regard.
- Her memoir bubbles with self-regard, and her ego may have caused her to misunderstand some events in her life.
- That applying to kindergarten should become such a cutthroat business is doubtless an only-in-New-York phenomenon, intertwined with New Yorkers' considerable self-regard.
- Example sentences
- I have warned France about their self-regarding complacency and explained to them that they have become hypnotised by their own reputation, playing as if the opposition should stand back in awe and give them space to show their skills.
- Unlike a lot of more vain, self-regarding actors, she finds it impossible to conceal her vulnerability.
- As I've said before, I think there are some people on the left who want to be that fervent, self-regarding minority.
Definition of self-regard in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.