Definition of self-righteous in English:
Having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior: self-righteous indignation and complacency
More example sentences
- This sort of smug, self-righteous moralising is exactly what the original American student was speaking out against.
- The tone is superior and self-righteous, but there is some truth to what Wills was saying.
- What's with all this self-righteous indignation about reality television?
- Example sentences
- I found someone who didn't already know about the article and the tumult it had aroused and testified self-righteously for a quarter of an hour.
- In fact, maybe if you've been self-righteously indignant on both sides of an issue, you should conclude that it's not an issue about which self-righteous indignation is called for.
- This species can be identified on the first day of class as the person who, five minutes into the start of the class, self-righteously points out the flaws in the professor's marking scheme.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.