Definition of self-sterile in English:
Incapable of self-fertilization.
- Lower seed numbers in outcrossed fruits of self-fertile versus self-sterile plants probably reflect inbreeding depression due to mating of related individuals.
- Many plants, apparently physically equipped for self-fertilization, were completely self-sterile.
- By contrast, mutant hermaphrodites are self-sterile when unmated due to a failure in spermatid activation.
- Example sentences
- This is because the genetic load required for complete self-sterility based on inbreeding depression is so unusually high that it is rarely, if ever, reached by any species.
- In fact, the evolutionary pathway from obligate outcrossing based on self-sterility to predominant self-fertilization is among the most common and widespread trends in flowering plants.
- This was accomplished by isolating single-conidium cultures from each progeny and testing for self-sterility and for mating type.
Definition of self-sterile in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan