Incapable of self-fertilization.
More example sentences
- Lower seed numbers in outcrossed fruits of self-fertile versus self-sterile plants probably reflect inbreeding depression due to mating of related individuals.
- Many plants, apparently physically equipped for self-fertilization, were completely self-sterile.
- By contrast, mutant hermaphrodites are self-sterile when unmated due to a failure in spermatid activation.
- More example sentences
- This is because the genetic load required for complete self-sterility based on inbreeding depression is so unusually high that it is rarely, if ever, reached by any species.
- In fact, the evolutionary pathway from obligate outcrossing based on self-sterility to predominant self-fertilization is among the most common and widespread trends in flowering plants.
- This was accomplished by isolating single-conidium cultures from each progeny and testing for self-sterility and for mating type.
More definitions of self-sterileDefinition of self-sterile in:
- The US English dictionary