Definition of selfish in English:
(Of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure: I joined them for selfish reasons
More example sentences
- Since no crime has been committed in the absence of a selfish motive, these are mostly open and shut cases.
- To do good deeds simply to obtain good karma would be to act from a selfish motive, and would not earn much merit.
- Try to protest that the government is ruining your health with its selfish pleasures and see how far you get!
egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centred, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneself, inward-looking, introverted, self-loving;
inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, heedless, unmindful, regardless, insensitive, tactless, uncharitable, unkind;
mean, miserly, grasping, greedy, mercenary, money-grubbing, acquisitive, opportunistic, out for what one can get
informal looking after number one, on the make
- Example sentences
- For the moment, completely selfishly and setting politics aside, my main feeling is that I'm glad I don't work or live in a building that calls attention to itself.
- Man is selfishly depleting the natural resources.
- While people selfishly keep reptiles for their own amusement these animals will continue to suffer and the problem of pet-linked disease in humans will continue.
Words that rhyme with selfishelfish, shellfish
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.