A member of any of the Turkish dynasties which ruled Asia Minor in the 11th to 13th centuries, successfully invading the Byzantine Empire and defending the Holy Land against the Crusaders.
- Historians have traced its genealogy to the architecture found in Asia Minor under the rule of the Seljuks in the early centuries of the second millennium.
- Their victories against the Seljuks in Asia Minor brought them close to the Nicaean empire, and Vatazes was forced to return to Asia Minor.
- He also opposed the Khwarizmian Turks, who had succeeded the Seljuks in Asia Minor and who now were trying to make Nasir subject to them.
- Example sentences
- Isa Bey Mosque is one of the most delicate examples of Seljukian architecture.
- The Seljukian sultans had only achieved a military occupation of the country which they had conquered.
From Turkish seljūq, the name of the reputed ancestor of the dynasty.
Words that rhyme with Seljukarchduke, chibouk, duke, Farouk, fluke, kook, Luke, nuke, peruke, puke, rebuke, snook, souk, spruik, stook, tuque, zouk
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Sel¦juk
Definition of Seljuk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.