Definition of semi-documentary in English:
(Of a film) having a factual background and a fictitious story.
- Experimental, semi-documentary film, showing London's East End through the lives of two deaf-mutes.
- In order to salute the real-life equivalents of its subjects, the film affects a semi-documentary style, casts character actresses rather than stars in the leads, and uses genuine military personnel as walk-ons.
- Originating from a New York café conversation Marston had with a former mule, the film has a semi-documentary feel and projects the authenticity of careful research.
nounBack to top
A semi-documentary film.
- His fiction films (as opposed to certain of his documentaries or semi-documentaries) are rather pale and weak as a result.
- An experimental film shot on a digital video camera, it's a semi-documentary on the life of Indonesian poet Kadir.
- A semi-documentary about the Algerian revolution against French rule, and the harsh but effective measures employed by the French to crush the resistance.
Definition of semi-documentary in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan