A match or round immediately preceding the final, the winner of which goes on to the final: [as modifier]: their semi-final defeat
More example sentences
- The top two teams in each division will play off in a semi-final followed by a final to decide the winners.
- Without question it was being knocked out of the play-off semi-final by Cardiff.
- A number of other athletes got through to the finals and semi-finals of their events.
- More example sentences
- The losing semi-finalists play off for the bronze medal.
- He was afforded a bit of leeway as a World Cup semi-finalist, as the normal length of service is two years.
- Most World Cups have an oddball semi-finalist and Ukraine have the potential to be this year's.
Definition of semi-final in:
- The US English dictionary