Definition of semi-final in English:
A match or round immediately preceding the final, the winner of which goes on to the final: [as modifier]: their semi-final defeat
More example sentences
- The top two teams in each division will play off in a semi-final followed by a final to decide the winners.
- Without question it was being knocked out of the play-off semi-final by Cardiff.
- A number of other athletes got through to the finals and semi-finals of their events.
- Example sentences
- The losing semi-finalists play off for the bronze medal.
- He was afforded a bit of leeway as a World Cup semi-finalist, as the normal length of service is two years.
- Most World Cups have an oddball semi-finalist and Ukraine have the potential to be this year's.
Definition of semi-final in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan