- A drama or similar entertainment with a substantial proportion of vocal music in addition to instrumental movements: Purcell’s four highly successful semi-operasMore example sentences
- His Psyche of 1675 is an important forerunner of the semi-operas later taken up by Purcell and others.
- None of these were strictly semi-operas, but the spoken word continued to exert a strong influence.
- After the Restoration the masque transferred to the professional theatre, where its tradition continued in Purcell's semi-operas.
More definitions of semi-operaDefinition of semi-opera in:
- The US English dictionary