Definition of semi-trailer in English:
nounchiefly North American
1A trailer having wheels at the back but supported at the front by a towing vehicle.
- For the purposes of this Convention, ‘vehicles’ means motor vehicles, articulated vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers as defined in article 4 of the Convention on Road Traffic dated 19th September 1949.
- The long main road between Montreal and Quebec City is the Jean LeSage Autoroute, a poorly-maintained epic of a straight four-lane highway crowded with huge transport vehicles, especially semi-trailers with loads of logs.
- The first place winner was Tridekon, a company based in Eden that has developed a hydraulically-driven, telescoping swing auger for unloading grain from semi-trailers.
1.1An articulated lorry.
- What is worse, for a period between one and two years ago, 44-tonne six-axle articulated semi-trailers were regular visitors to the lane.
- Elephants are transported from one city to the next in railroad cars or truck semi-trailers.
- Police do not expect to charge anyone involved in the fatal collision between a Bundaberg truck driver's semi-trailer and an elderly couple's campervan last week.
Definition of semi-trailer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan