An element (e.g. arsenic, antimony, or tin) whose properties are intermediate between those of metals and solid non-metals or semiconductors.
- Separating them are metalloids or semimetals.
- There is no sharp dividing line between the metals and nonmetals; the metalloids, also called semimetals, form a buffer between the two.
- Typical examples would include metal oxides, metal and semimetal nitrides.
- Example sentences
- The latter are good quality - hard, dense, semimetallic, and capable of taking a high polish.
- Semimetallic friction material was introduced in the late 1960s and has gained widespread usage in the mid-1970s.
- Semimetallic gaskets are designed for medium and high-pressure applications, and offer a high degree of safety.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: semi|metal
Definition of semimetal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.