Definition of semimetal in English:
An element (e.g. arsenic, antimony, or tin) whose properties are intermediate between those of metals and solid non-metals or semiconductors.
- Separating them are metalloids or semimetals.
- There is no sharp dividing line between the metals and nonmetals; the metalloids, also called semimetals, form a buffer between the two.
- Typical examples would include metal oxides, metal and semimetal nitrides.
- Example sentences
- The latter are good quality - hard, dense, semimetallic, and capable of taking a high polish.
- Semimetallic friction material was introduced in the late 1960s and has gained widespread usage in the mid-1970s.
- Semimetallic gaskets are designed for medium and high-pressure applications, and offer a high degree of safety.
Definition of semimetal in:
- Spanish dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan