Definition of semiology in English:
Another term for semiotics.
- Thus if semiology comes from linguistics, things become relatively simple.
- He helped found the modern science of semiology, applying structuralism to the ‘myths’ he saw all around him: media, fashion, art, photography, architecture, and especially literature.
- Interpreting images is a domain of semiology, the general science of signs.
- Example sentences
- And when you do this, you create a semiological system which runs parallel to other semiological systems, one of which might be the system of so-called reality.
- This shift suggests a kind of semiological skinning of photography where the signifier is separated from the signified to be reconstituted as a sign itself.
- Myth is a peculiar system, in that it is constructed from a semiological chain which existed before it: it is a second-order semiological system.
- Example sentences
- In chapter two, which discusses the tensions between system and act in structural and poststructural linguistics, the author persuasively argues that music, as the semiologist's blind spot, reveals the truth about language.
- But it is true that while semiologists talk about the eruption of ‘the real’, on a daily basis they tend to be preoccupied with life as dominated by the prevailing signifying practices of a culture.
- If we get sidetracked on to the British issue the left-liberal semiologists and their friends in the media will have a high old time of it.
Pronunciation: /ˌsiːmɪɒləˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/ /ˌsɛmɪɒləˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/adjective
Pronunciation: /siːmɪˈɒlədʒɪst/ /sɛmɪˈɒlədʒɪst/noun
Words that rhyme with semiologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of semiology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.