Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of semiprivate in English:
1Combining public and private elements: the design gives every unit its own façade and a semiprivate balcony
More example sentences
- There are no high-end resorts, but for $80 a night, four people can rent a private cabin on a semiprivate beach or a couple can rent a comfortable room at a full-amenity hotel.
- Power plants constitute obvious terrorist targets but are frequently operated by private or semiprivate corporations unwilling to pay to protect them.
- In addition to streets and individual yards, larger complexes now included a variety of public or semiprivate open spaces: small parks, squares, or common courtyards defined by building walls.
1.1(Of a hospital room) accommodating two patients.
- All the ICU patients were in private rooms; 28 of CCMU patients were in semiprivate rooms.
- They lay in hallways waiting for space in semiprivate rooms, where patients must be paired up according to level of illness or type of disease.
- It began life as a tuberculosis clinic and is now a semiprivate hospital for civil servants.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.