noun (plural same)
1A monetary unit of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, and Malaysia, equal to one hundredth of a dollar in Brunei, one hundredth of a riel in Cambodia, one hundredth of a rupiah in Indonesia, and one hundredth of a ringgit in Malaysia.
- At present, MAS charges an average of 32.5 sen (100 sen equal 1 ringgit or $0.26) per kilometer.
- Diesel oil is 67 sen per liter in Malaysia compared to 133 sen in Thailand.
- The unit of currency is the Malaysian Ringgit which is divided into 100 sen.
2A former monetary unit in Japan, equal to one hundredth of a yen.
- For example, a belt made from tortoise shell was available for only one yen and fifty sen in Japanese money.
- In 1907, when an inner-city train ticket cost between three and five sen, a made-to-order suit required an average of twenty to twenty-five yen.