verb[no object] Biology
- (Of a living organism) deteriorate with age: it is a universal characteristic of higher animals that they senesceMore example sentences
- Fruits were counted when the plants had fully senesced.
- Regardless of cold-induction treatment, leaves and plants of non-transformed plants senesced under prolonged dark storage.
- In several populations, the pitchers of some plants had senesced.
mid 17th century: from Latin senescere, from senex 'old'.
More definitions of senesceDefinition of senesce in:
- The US English dictionary