Definition of senior common room in English:
1A room used for social purposes by fellows, lecturers, and other senior members of a college.
- You're supposed to sit around in the coffee shop or the senior common room, arguing long into the night about the significance of these devices.
- Tripping over a rug in the Christ's College senior common room, I rose to find myself face to face with Harold Macmillan's whiskers.
- Some time in my first year on the LSE staff, I ran into Harry in the senior common room and he reminded me of the point I had made to him about Viner's trade diversion when we had first met.
1.1 [treated as singular or plural] The senior members of a college regarded collectively: his involvement with Darwin and other staff in the senior common room
More example sentences
- And then Anne Sayre in, I think, her American way misinterpreted the fact that women weren't allowed in the senior common room at Kings.
- That could prove interesting in the senior common rooms.
- Teeth gnashed in senior common rooms: could the university not support one expert in Sogdian?
Definition of senior common room in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia